Sunday, September 15, 2013

Definition of Culture


            When I hear the word culture instantly my mind takes me on a journey to my heritage, my roots, the places I have been throughout my life. My definition of culture would have to be place, religion, food, inherited ideas, beliefs, values, and knowledge just to name a few culture can be and or mean a lot of things. I also believe that culture can be the way we communicate with others and the way we pronounce things with a certain dialect. There is the way we raise children in the household, can be a part of culture. The actual meaning of culture is the complete choice of learned human behavior patterns.

            I believe culture is made up of knowledge, belief, art, law, morals and any skills and habits learned as a member of society. Society has a lot to do with culture, because without it you wouldn’t form other ideas and aspects of life. Depending on the society and your culture you deal with what’s right and wrong, like moral values. What could be wrong to one culture could be the complete opposite for another. For example, sex before marriage could be one of them; and could generate a lot of controversy.

            Overall, the day I was born I adapted to a culture. I came out of the womb not knowing anything but as soon as I got a little older and could start understanding, I realized I could speak English instead of Spanish. When I got older I was already accustomed to doing things the way my mother taught me and I wouldn’t dare try to do it any other way. If I would find myself trying to do differently; there would always be a little piece of my culture in twined in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment