Sunday, September 15, 2013

Drama Mama to Comedy Queen




     

          I always saw myself as a dramatic person, always being cast as the dramatic character. When I was first introduced to comedy, I thought it was enjoyable to watch but never thought I could do it myself. When I took my first improv class, just to try it out, people said I was pretty funny! Which gave me the confidence to consider it more than just entertainment.

         Beyond just taking classes, I moved on to being a part of a comedy troupe, "The Hooligans". That's where I really found my belonging and culture. Finding people with such similar beliefs was weird at first. Believing in the same Kristen Wiig God and laughing in our Groundlings Theatre Church. On friday nights, our comedy troupe would all go out to our favorite comedy club and eat our traditional pizza dish and discuss the show we just saw. This is a tradition I always looked forward too.

        I'm glad I started out as a dramatic person, because otherwise I may have never found comedy the way I did. The people I have met in my culture are some of my closest friends and I am so thankful for that. It's comforting and brings me happiness to know I belong to this comedy culture.


No comments:

Post a Comment