Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Beautiful Losers - Simmone Johnson


In the movie Beautiful Losers the artist that stood out to me the most was Geoff McFetridge, and his perception of art production. When he first showed up on the screen, instantly he talked about how his supporters saw his artwork. His supporters mentioned his work had a Christian feeling that was righteous. His drawings spread the gospel through vague messages and positivity. Geoff’s culture of drawing is spiritual.

There’s a point in time when Geoff is working on his art piece and he puts himself aside to create art that’s familiar but you don’t know what that art is. You still have a relationship to the piece of art work. There is a since of spirituality, where you lose yourself completely and your changing your view on other things. I can agree with the statement one hundred percent. In theatre I have to forget who I am to create a piece of work that I have never brought to life. I have to step out of my normal to become spiritually connected to my work of art.

Throughout the movie I couldn’t help to notice that there was a group of young artist who wanted to talk about their culture of art growing up and how it has evolved. When they were growing up they didn’t have cell phones, computers, and IPods. There fun was being around people just like them who enjoyed graffiti, skateboarding, making creative drawings and paintings. I feel with my generation we really don’t know how it feels to actually put our hands on a paint brush and actually put our all into it because we think we can develop the same feeling from just looking it up on the computer, only because it’s fulfilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment