Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Endia Brown-Bey
Meg
College Writing
9 October 2013
 
                                                          Learning Something New
     I really enjoyed watching the film "Beautiful Losers" in class. It was good to see how todays artists feel about art. I can honestly say I didn't know art had such a big affect on people. For most of the artists in the movie art was their life. They used art for everything , like expressing their feelings and getting a message out to the world. They loved it so much they spent all half of their lives creating artwork. There were times where they didn't have a home. They would all sleep in the gallery, wake up, and start drawing again. It seemed like each artist in the story had a rough childhood. They were disobedient and wild children who didn't care about school, or their families. They were kids that would leave school to go skateboard or tag their names on private property; they didn't care.
    There were a few things I could relate to with some of the artists and a few things I couldn't relate to. I am really good at sketching, but I do not feel the same passion for painting and sketching as I do with dance. Dance is my form of art. In the movie Thomas Campbell stated that he gets inspired by nature. Being in a peaceful place allows him to focus and create pieces of art. I also agree that I am inspired to dance when I am by my self listening to beautiful music. In that moment I am focused and I am able to come up with choreography.
    I also noticed that Chris Johanson struggled to express his ideas with words. He was an extreme visual person.  I also struggle to express myself through my words or even writing sometimes. I find it easier to express my self through my art. I am also a visual person and learner. For example when I am in class I find it very difficult to understand information when I hear it for the first time, but when my teacher takes the time to show me, I then have a better understanding of the material we just learned. By being a visual person I am able to express my self through my drawings and also through dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment