Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Culture - Simmone' Johnson

"What I discover: in America, General Tso, like colonel Sanders, is known for chicken, not war. In China, he is known for war, not chicken." This quoted line deals with the topic culture, because Jennifer talks about how in America Colonel is known for chicken around the world in America.

     This quoted line from Chapter five is the start of General Tso's chicken. Lee goes on a trip to the General's home town in China, where no one has ever heard of that type of the chicken dish. He didn't even create the recipe.  General Tso is a historical figure in China for his gift as a military leader. He died in 1885, but his name is forever alive because of his chicken.  Lee didn't have the heart to say that no one in America knows him for his military actions but for his chicken dish.

"What I discover: in America, General Tso, like colonel Sanders, is known for chicken, not war. In China, he is known for war, not chicken."  In china, General Tso is known for being a military leader, but we Americans only know him for the chicken. It also explains the differences between Chinese food and Chinese food in America. This is a great quote in being able to tell the difference between cultures and the real meanings of things. If I knew before about the name of general Tso chicken I would've had a different mindset about the entrĂ©e. Now that I think about it I can imagine it being a joke saying that the Chinese general was a chicken. Regardless, I will still love the chicken its like an American favorite, and I'm a big fan of Chinese food anyway. This quote actually connects to what I've seen in the gallery. At the gallery I interpret one thing and I hardly ever read the plaque with the real meaning on it. So, this actually ties together because nine times out of ten I'm not going to research the name of the food that I eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment