Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Gioncarlo Faczek
ICW Meg Riley
10/8/13
Beautiful Losers: Stephen Powers 

          The movie Beautiful Losers presents to the world, different meanings in art. It displayed many different artists and their style of art. Seeing this movie while going to an artsy school changed the way I look at art now. It also changed the way I view some of my fellow artist here at Columbia College. Everyone here has their own creative talent and displays it in a way not everyone would understand. Watching the movie, some of the ways these artists lived was shocking. They would have art shows and they would live in the gallery, because they did not have anywhere else to sleep at. But throughout the movie there was an artist I could relate to.
         
          May 25, 1968 a New York City graffiti artist was born. His name is Stephen J. Powers. In the movie all of his artwork grabbed my attention. But the one thing he did I felt like I was in his shoes. He offered his painting service to a well-known amusement park in Coney Island, New York called Astroland. Stephen hand painted all of the concessions signs and even painted an important rollercoaster called Cyclone. Your probably wondering how I can relate to this, knowing that I cannot draw/paint to save my life. Being an artist does not only mean painting or drawing, but I am an artist when it comes to music. I have DJed countless of fundraisers for families in the need of help. I was asked if I could play for a little boy who Osteosarcoma. The family wanted to pay me but I did not want that at all. I wanted to make this little boy’s fundraiser a day he would never forget. I wanted to give back to my community and show everyone that chivalry is not dead.

          Being an artist knowing that my music can make a little boys day better means the world to me. That’s how you know your doing the thing with your artwork. I really enjoyed Beautiful Losers and I feel like every school in America should watch this movie. High School and middle schools are trying to take out the arts. In my opinion if they did so, the world would be a different place. Lets keep the arts in the schools. Keep rocking on with your artwork and or music talents. Make time for your art (it’s important).

No comments:

Post a Comment