Monday, November 4, 2013

Analysis of an MCA art piece

After your visit to the MCA and experience with the Paul Sietsema exhibition and the Theaster Gates: 13th Ballad installation, and the Alexander Calder, think about your favorite piece. How does a work change when you spend more time with it? What else do you notice? How do you change?

Select a work – any work in the Museum – and spend a full 20 minutes just looking at the work. Why did it capture your attention? Why do you suppose it is being presented in a Chicago museum – or why do you think it shouldn’t be here? What is the deeper meaning? (i.e. thesis) What bigger picture does it connect to?  Analyze and try to formulate your ideas in a thesis that you will use to direct your blog post. 

Please write a review of the work. Consider it in context of the artist’s other work – which means you’ll have to do some research, in the museum (read the plaques), handouts? Consider it in context of the rest of the work in the exhibition.

2 comments:

  1. MCA

    While walking through the museum there was many pieces of artwork that had caught my attention that I found interesting but the most interesting thing to me was a video by Derek Brown. Derek brown was digging his own grave. It was weird to me that somebody would take the time to do all the measurements necessary to dig their own grave. I thought that this video was going to be shot but when I read that it was six hours long I was shocked. First, I thought who would watch a video for six hours of somebody digging their own grave but then I realized it’s not about that. I figured it was about how as human beings we try to prepare for everything except our own death because we can’t bare to think about our ending.


    I think Derek Brown was trying to tell us if we can take time out of the day to do the littlest things such as get our nails done or watch a football game, then we can take timeout of the day to dig our graves and not leave it up to our loved ones. As people we always say prepare for the worst but do we actually? The way I am analyzing this video is probably way different then anybody else would. I see this video as somewhat an informational piece of art instead of an inspiring pice of art work. I wasn’t able to watch the video for the whole six hours unfortunately but I believe I was able to take in what the video was mostly about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jasmine Burr
    November 18, 2013
    ICW, Meg Reilly

    AIC Piece: Geogria O’Keefe

    I went to the Art Institute of Chicago instead and I decided to look at Georgia O’Keefe’s paintings. Instantly I was mesmerized by the color and texture of each piece. They were absolutely beautiful! Her first one was a pile of yellow leaves and from those yellow leaves grew a dandelion in the middle. Her second one was of a skull of a dead animal with two white flowers that matched the color of the skull. And her third, which was my favorite, was two flowers growing in the desert of New Mexico. I thought the idea that she wanted her audience to gain was that there is beauty in none living objects. O’Keefe expresses this by drawing flowers, making the color of the dead object really bold and stand out from the painting. The paintings made me feel at aw because she created beauty from something that has ben forgotten and abandon. But we forget that it’s because of death that creates the real beauty in everything. O’Keefe created these paintings with oil pastel and you can see each stroke she made on the canvas. She truly tried to blend colors together to get this “3-D” effect. I wanted to touch it, but you cannot do that in a museum. I genuinely enjoyed looking at her artwork; it put me in a daze at what can be created from something so empty.

    ReplyDelete