Monday, November 18, 2013

Endia Brown-Bey
Meg Reily
Intro to Writing

                                                                        MCA Tour


     I actually enjoyed being at The Museum of Contemporary Art. I really liked the fact that all the exhibitions were different from one another. There were some I found interesting and some I thought were really weird. I didn’t like the wooden block exhibit with the artists face molded in them. The idea of having a human’s face inside of an object is creepy. On the second floor there was a carpet that had a really cool design on it. At first I thought the carpet was made with the funky pattern already on it, but instead I discovered that the artist actually hand painted the design on it; which is pretty cool.
     Throughout my tour there were a few more exhibits I found interesting and different, but the one that stood out the most was the exhibit "Cooper Heads" taken by Moyra Davey.  In this exhibition there were a row of large photos of pennies. In each photo you were able to see how different each penny was as it aged. The structure, color, and texture of each penny looked different from one another. This was the first thing I noticed about the picture.

    Then I noticed the more I observed the photo the more I began to judge it and also dislike it. Each photo also had neon colored tape stuck to it in a shape of a C. It also had a Medium sized mailing sticker on it. Also hearing about how the artist created this exhibit made me dislike it more. The artist actually mailed each photo back to herself, which explains why there was neon tape and a mailing sticker on each picture. I honestly don’t understand why she would mail her photos back to herself. I guess I found this exhibit interesting, because I was able to form different opinions about it. I liked it for one reason and I also disliked it for another reason. Overall I had a good experience at the MCA.

No comments:

Post a Comment