Saturday, November 16, 2013

Art MCA - Simmone Johnson


The art piece Marisol in the Andy Warhol section grabbed my attention because it was uniquely designed and it popped out at me when I first entered the room. I loved the abstracted variation of the character throughout the piece. It had also captured my attention because I never seen wood shaped in such an artist way. The art work caused me to stand there and try to figure out the meaning without having to read the plaque. I feel Marisol is being presented in a Chicago museum because it is involved with pop art culture and it was inspired by Andy Warhol.  It’s always better to use something or someone that’s always at your reach. The artist uses her own face because it’s easier to get a hold of. This leads to all the little detail in the piece. She had less to worry about when her “model” was always there.

Marisol is a very unique creation it captures the identity of the artist. She uses wood, plaster, marker, paint, graphite, human teeth, gold, and plastic in this sculpture. There are seven faces in a row, these faces create distinct characters which make a multifaceted representation of herself. Each of the faces correspond to a different aspect of Marisol’s personality, or even different roles she played in her life. Such things like being a mother, daughter or a guy in a play. In her own words she said “The truth is, I use my own face because it’s easier. When I want to make a face or hands for one of my figures, I’m usually the only person around to use as a model.” This goes for her other creations in the museum. She uses herself as the foundation of each creation she has made. With Marisol’s artwork you have to be up close and personal to see each detail of the work, or you will miss a very unique piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment